After several swipes and analyzing of profiles, you’ve finally matched with your favorite candidate! Now, the next step is how to get the conversation started and move towards your first date! Below, we have created a list of helpful tips to begin the process of communication and taking the next time!
1. Be confident: You may have been matched for several days, maybe even weeks and nothing has been said. Sometimes women are more hesitant to message first and that’s the last thing you need to do. When online dating, sometimes you have to be the purser. You don’t want to wait for too long, hoping that the man messages you first and then lose your chance. Be confident in yourself! No more waiting for the man to make the first move! It’s all you!
2. Start the conversation: Starting the conversation with someone you’ve matched with can be difficult. You may not know what to say and how exactly to go about speaking to them. There are a few simple methods you can do to begin the conversation. You can start off the with classic banter, a funny, cute or quirky message that will grab their attention and make them smile or chuckle. This could be a pick up line, a silly joke or a compliment. You can ask a question, a perfect way to engage. Look through their photos or bio and determine what it is you want to ask about. Maybe they have a photo from vacationing in Italy, shooting them a quick message, "Was that picture taken in Italy? I've always wanted to go!" By asking a question you are instantly showing interest in their life as well as putting less pressure on your match to answer!
3. Beware Red Flags: If you see or notice any red flags throughout their profile or while speaking to this person quickly back away. The last thing you need is to find yourself in a dangerous or uncomfortable situation as you further your communication and possibly meet in person. Stop talking to them, block them and continue on with your journey to love.
5. Be Patient: Get to know your match through text messages or phone calls the best you can before taking it to the next step. There is no need to instantly jump into pursing the first day and quickly move into the next level. Communicating for the first four days is enough time to begin the conversation about the first date!
6. Are They Interested: This can be one of the hardest things to identify while dating online. If you are searching for love, you certainly don't want to waste your time on someone who only wants to make you a booty call or have no true intentions on pursing something serious. If they do not seem engaged in the conversation and send one worded answers the likely hood of them being interested or overall an interesting person has decreased. If he is taking a long time to message you, while yes some men do have busy lives, if your match is taking longer than a few days to message you and constantly coming up with excuses they may not be the one. Someone who is interested in you and excited to talk to you will put in effort to answer your message within a reasonable time or notify you they're busy. For example, "Hey, I have a lot of meetings today so I might take a little while to answer! I hope you have a good morning and I'll shoot you a message as soon as I'm free!" A perfect example of a busy, yet interested man. If he is not asking you questions and doesn't seem to engage in who you are and what interest you, then simply doesn't care.
7. First Date Planning: You've found a match that you're interested in and is showing interest in you as well! Keep in mind the things you and your match have spoken about! Their hobbies and favorite drinks, food or adventures! Come up with a date idea that is simple, yet something both of you will enjoy! A great first date should be something short and sweet, however if during the date you both are truly enjoying yourself we encourage you to stay longer! Always remember, the first date is your first impression as well. We do not recommend starting at a bar, club or restaurant. A walk in the park, a movie, coffee date and grabbing a quick lunch are some perfect options.
Now that you have these helpful tips, go forward with pursuing your match! The first message and overall conversation is the most important. Leaving a good first impression through messaging is sure to get you through the first date if you are both compatible. Always remember, to keep everything light hearted and fun, at the end of the day you want to enjoy your online dating experience, not dread the idea of love and lonesome.